Becoming a Client
At GRID Alternatives, we believe that everyone should have access to clean and affordable electricity. Through our Solar Affordable Housing program, we install money-saving solar electric systems for qualifying low-income homeowners at little or no cost to the homeowners themselves.
Why go solar?
Solar power has multiple benefits for families living with low or fixed incomes. In addition to saving you money every month on electricity bills and protecting you from rising electricity prices, rooftop solar is a clean energy source that contributes to cleaner air for all our communities. It is also a reliable technology with no moving parts that requires little maintenance and lasts 25 years or more.
To become a GRID Alternatives client, you must live in California or Colorado, own your own home and have a household income that is 80% of your Area Median Income (Click here for CA limits; Click here for CO limits) or below. If you live in California you must also qualify for the Single-family Affordable Solar Homes (SASH) Program (some exceptions apply). Click here to see if you qualify for the SASH program.
Think you might qualify? Unsure? Contact us today.
If you think you might qualify for SASH and/or the Solar Affordable Housing Program, call GRID Alternatives toll-free at (866) 921-4696 or e-mail email@example.com to coordinate a pre-screening phone conversation. You can also contact your local GRID Alternatives office. If after the pre-screen, you seem to qualify, the application proess with proceed as follows:
1. GRID Alternatives will set up a meeting to discuss the details of the program, help you complete an application, and answer any questions. The application will include the following:
- Completed SASH Application (CA only)
- Copy of previous year's federal income tax return
- Copy of most recent electricity bill
- Proof of homeownership
- Proof that the residence meets the affordable housing requirement of California Public Utilities Code 2852 (CA only)
Your home will also undergo an energy audit at this time to identify energy usage improvements that can be made before your system is installed, saving you even more money.
2. If your application is approved, GRID Alternatives will schedule a construction visit to determine if the roof, sunlight exposure and house direction are suitable for a PV-solar installation. If the site is appropriate and you decide to proceed with the solar installation, a system will be designed for your home.
3. GRID Alternatives will schedule the installation, either with our in-house team and a group of volunteers or job trainees, or with one of our highly qualified subcontractors. After the system installation is complete, the system must be inspected and the utility interconnected before the system becomes operational.
4. You start saving energy and money using your new solar electric system!
The entire process will be explained in detail when you speak with a GRID Alternatives representative. Call or email us today!